What is Problem Gambling?
Problem gambling is the addiction to behaviors that involve gambling with the sole intent of winning or coming out ahead. Warning signs of problem gamblers are gambling until the last dollar is gone, unexplained financial problems, inability to stop playing regardless of winning or losing, neglecting family, and borrowing money just to name a few. For more information on the American Psychiatric Association’s criteria for gambling addiction, please see the DSM 5 at www.psych.org.
It is estimated that....
of Louisianans are at risk for Problem Gambling.
As many as
people go into debt because of Problem Gambling.
On average, Louisiana Casinos take in more than
Problem Gambling Warning Signs
- Unexplained financial problems
- Emotional distress, anger, depression
- Items of value lost or missing
- Reduced involvement in social/group activities
- Gambling until the last dollar is gone
- Gambling to solve financial difficulties
- Unable to stop regardless of winning or losing
- Borrowing money to pay gambling debts
- Neglecting family because of gambling
- Lying about time and money spent gambling
Responsible Gambling Guidlines
- Set a dollar limit and stick to it.
- Don’t borrow money to gamble.
- Understand that you’ll probably lose
- Don’t let gambling interfere with family, friends or work.
- Don’t use gambling as a way to cope with emotional or physical pain.
- Don’t chase losses.
- Think of the money you lose as the cost of your entertainment.